Sunday, March 29, 2015

Live Your Dreams

What do you want to be when you grow up?

No seriously, if you could be anything, what would it be? As children, we were asked this question on a daily basis and the adults around us usually giggled at our answers because they were unbelievably bold! That's because as children we truly believe we can be ANYTHING we want to be! I’ve often asked myself at what point in our lives do we stop believing that. I’ve come to the conclusion that as we grow up and experience life we allow our fears to begin to dictate who we are. Now don't get me wrong.... at some point it is important for us to develop a healthy fear so we can learn that jumping off the monkey bars may not be the best idea! BUT- we should NEVER let fear get in the way of living our dreams.

I've been a dance instructor for several years. Recently, I was asked what lesson have I learned from my students? Without a doubt my answer was to be fearless! I love having conversations with my students during class and my favorite question to ask them is what they want to be when they grow up. As you can imagine...I've heard a variety of answers…..everything from an astronaut, the President, a ballerina, an architect, a mom and many, many more. As adults, I feel it is important for us to encourage children to dream big, to chase their dreams, and to never let anyone tell them they "can't"! Honestly, I despise the world “can’t” and as a dance instructor that word is never allowed in my classroom. Instead, I tell my students they can choose to say either "I can" or "I'll try." Personally, I believe that's the attitude we should have in life. No matter how many times life may knock you down and make you believe that your dreams are unachievable, you have to stand back up, dust yourself off and show the world your "I can" or your "I'll try" attitude!

Many of us may realize how crucial it is for us to take the time to nurture the minds of our youth and allow them to chase their dreams. My fear is that we may overlook the fact that it is equally important to nurture our own minds and remind ourselves that we, too, can dream big! If you’re not living the life you’ve always dreamed of then make a change! Stop letting fear of the unknown get in the way of living your dreams. Instead, look fear in the face and say…. BRING IT ON!

After all, the only true failure is the failure to try!

VALUE: LIVE YOUR DREAMS!





No comments:

Post a Comment